is to become a leader in offering high quality education adhering to the values and ethics of Islam
Objectives of the Preparatory Year:
- Prepare students academically and provide them with the most important academic skills.
- Provide students with the ability to get and understand the basic scientific materials.
- Provide students with computer skills and its applications.
- Improve the level of the students’ language which helps them to communicate with others in Arabic or English.
- Training the student on academic research with achieving academic research skills.
- Encouraging students to creativity, innovation and self-development.
- Promote and consolidate the principles of excellence and self-confidence in students, which will have a great impact on participation in university and community life.
General Framework for the Preparatory Year:
This year consists of two mandatory academic semesters:
- In the first semester:
All students study the materials prescribed within the hours specified for each subject. Classes are divided after the student's English level is determined by a test at the beginning of the first semester.
- In the second semester:
After the announcement of the result of the first semester, students are divided into two tracks by the total score:
- The Traditional track: an extension of the study of the subjects studied in the first semester.
- Problem-Based Learning Path (PBL):
It is a path (course) that relies heavily on modern theories of learning, where the learner is considered the point of focus and basis of the educational process. At the same time, they acquire skills by working in small collaborative groups. They transform learning outcomes into a specific problem that requires detection, understanding, analysis and finding the right solution. It is for students who wish to join Medicine Program. The student studies a number of integrated basic science subjects such as; Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biostatistic.
Study System for the Preparatory Year:
- The student studies two consecutive levels (two semesters) to complete the preparatory year materials that calculated from the graduation plan.
- The grades obtained by the students in the preparatory year shall be counted in their academic record.
- Registration process is automatically flowing by the Students Affairs according to the study plan for the preparatory year.
- All preparatory year courses must pass successfully during the first year.
- The student is not allowed to get the final examination if his absence exceeds 25% (without an acceptable excuse) of the specific lectures for each course during the semester.
- All preparatory year materials must be passed within the specified period as a prerequisite for transition to the specialization stage.
The preparatory year prepares students after graduating from high school to become able to integrate into the university environment and avoid the negative aspects of the great shift in the educational process between the two stages. This year marks an important shift in the student's intellectual and social mobility from the pre-university stage to the academic study stage, which requires some effort, research and creativity. Accordingly, Battterjee Medical College for Science and Technology has given greater attention to the program of the preparatory year to develop the scientific and personal capacities of the new comers to provide them with the opportunity to choose the appropriate specialty for their abilities and tendencies. The program provides students with learning outcomes for the basic scientific subjects required for the various majors in the college. In addition, it also helps in improving the basic learning in English language, computer communication skills, learning skills, thinking and research.
The student studies full-time in the morning and is required to attend daily from 8 am to 4 pm or by the end of lectures. It is a compulsory academic year divided into two semesters. Students are not allowed to enroll in any academic program until pass this year and their academic choice is achieved according to their grade point average (GPA).
Head Of Program Message
I am pleased to welcome you on my behalf and on behalf of my fellow faculty members in the preparatory year program at Batterjee Medical College. This site is the first step in obtaining information about the preparatory year and other programs to join the college. Our mission in preparatory year program stems from the vision of the college and its mission to serve the community in the preparation of distinguished cadres in the medical field with distinguished scientific competence capable of facing the future with all its challenges. The preparatory year program is the starting point from which students begin to achieve their wishes and choose the specialty they dream of. This launch includes a set of basic scientific materials that provide the students with the knowledge and research and academic skills that qualify them for the following specialization programs. The objectives of the program are to improve the level of the students’ language and to provide them with communication skills and encourage them to innovate, develop themselves and promote the principles of excellence and culture among students, which has a great impact on participation in university and community life. I am happy to receive your inquiries and suggestions.
Dr. Ikhlas Sindi, Vice Dean of Female Section / Head of the Preparatory Year Program
FAST Foundation Year Curriculum
Preparatory Year Conventional Curriculum
|Course Number||Course Name||Course credit|
|BIO 101||Human Biology I|
|BIO 102||Human Biology II|
|CHM 101||General Chemistry|
|CHM 102||Introduction to Biochemistry|
|PHY 101||General Physics|
|ENGFY 101||English I|
|ENGFY 102||English II|
|COM 101||Computer I|
|COM 102||Computer II|
|IMEFY 101||Islamic Medical Ethics|
|ARFY 102||Arabic Language|
|SSK 101||Study Skills I|
|SSK 102||Study Skills II|
|MT 101||Medical Terminology I|
|MT 102||Medical Terminology II|